Saturday, February 8, 2014
Perspective
I finished reading this book a week ago. It was a book I couldn't put down and read it in just several days. It's a pretty quick read with a powerful message. I was actually hesitant to start it because I was afraid it would be too depressing. Yes, it was sad, but she had a way of writing that was optimistic, hopeful and encouraging; and that is EXACTLY what I took away from her story. I couldn't shake it from my thoughts and still find myself thinking about it. There is one part in her story that sticks out to me the most. Elizabeth Smart related her experience on Thanksgiving. They had moved to California by that point and her and her captors went into the City, San Diego, to get a warm Thanksgiving meal at one of the homeless shelters. Lack of food and water was not foreign to her at this point and she was grateful for food to eat. She related how there were some young women there volunteering and how she wished she was the one in their shoes. She said she wondered what her family was doing right then, and if they still missed her and wondered if they were still looking for her. That night after they got back to camp that evening, her male captor raped her, just like he did every night and was forced to sleep next to him, just like every night. And then she said she prayed to God, just like she did every night. She said she started thinking about all of the things she was grateful for. She said she was grateful for the wonderful meal she was able to eat that day. She said she was grateful for her family. She said she was grateful for her Heavenly Father and all of the tender mercies he had shown to her through out her kidnapping. And then she said that she fell asleep counting her blessings because she had so many.
My life was put into perspective after reading that. I need a reminder, every once in a while, that my challenges and trials can be stumbling blocks or faith strengthening experiences! If Elizabeth Smart, having gone through the horrible, horrendous things that she had gone through, could give thanks to her Heavenly Father for all of the things he had blessed her with, then why can't I? I find myself asking Heavenly Father quite often, why did Owen lose his job? Why did this have to happen to us 2 times in the matter of 4 years? What did we do wrong to deserve this? Haven't we been living righteously trying our best? So where are all of our blessings. Once again, Owen had several, several interviews and we have been turned down for all of them. It's hard not to feel resentful and angry at times. Sometimes it feels like the Lord has forgotten all about us and then there are those shining moments, or tender mercies, that remind me that He has not forgotten about us and that He has wonderful things in store for our little family because we are choosing to follow Him, no matter what our circumstances might be. We filed our taxes a couple of days ago and we were very happy to find that we will be getting a very large tax return; a blessing from Heavenly Father so that we will be able to pay what small bills we have, until we can find steady employment. I guess what I'm trying to say is that when I focus on the blessings that I have, it lessens the burden of my trials. Our situation won't go on like this forever. Someday we will look back and realize how much stronger we are because of it. It's sweet to hear Evie pray every day, multiple times a day, "Please bless my daddy to get a job." It is said so purely and so innocently and with so much faith, I have no doubts that Heavenly Father is hearing our prayers and will answer them when the time is right and with the exact job that Owen is supposed to have.
Posted by Emily and Owen Johnston at 10:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
You're a wonderful example of faith and optimism! You guys will get through this!!
Post a Comment